In the Event of Contact with Internal Battery Contents
WARNING
Contact with internal battery contents can have serious health effects. Wear protective face shield, rubberized gloves, respiratory protection, and protective clothing when handling damaged batteries. Failure to wear proper protective gear while handling a damaged battery could result in death or serious injury.
See Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for more details available at sds.livewire.com (12209b)
General information: The following first aid measures are required only in case of exposure to internal battery contents after damage of the external battery casing.
Table 1. Battery Electrolyte Antidote
Physical Location
Procedure
After Inhalation
  • Remove to fresh air
  • Wash mouth and nasal passages with water
  • If patient is not breathing, apply artificial respiration
  • Do not perform mouth-to-mouth resuscitation
  • Call a physician immediately
After Contact with Skin
  • Wash off immediately with plenty of water and soap for at least 15┬áminutes
  • Take off contaminated clothing and wash it before reuse
  • Call a physician immediately
After Contact with Eyes
  • Rinse immediately with plenty of water, also under the eyelids, for at least 15┬áminutes
  • Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing
  • Seek medical treatment by eye specialist
After Ingestion
  • Rinse mouth
  • Drink plenty of water or milk
  • Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person
  • Do not induce vomiting
  • Call a physician immediately
NOTE
Always assume the vehicle's high voltage system is charged and energized.
Appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including a self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), must always be worn.
The high voltage battery contains an electrolyte solution which may leak and create harmful or flammable fumes and/or gasses if released.
If damaged, the battery may give off harmful or flammable vapors. If such fumes are present, immediately remove any persons in area. If immediate removal of persons is not possible ventilate area to direct vapors away. Avoid any skin or eye contact with the electrolyte as it is corrosive. If you accidentally touch it, flush your eyes or skin with a large quantity of water for at least 15 minutes and seek medical attention immediately.
Contain any leaking fluids and dispose of them in accordance with standard hazardous material procedures.