Safety defects must be reported to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and Harley-Davidson.
NHTSA Statement
If you believe that your motorcycle has a defect which could cause a crash or could cause injury or death, you should immediately inform the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in addition to notifying Harley-Davidson.
If NHTSA receives similar complaints, it may open an investigation, and if it finds that a safety defect exists in a group of motorcycles, it may order a recall and remedy campaign. However, NHTSA cannot become involved in individual problems between you, your authorized Harley-Davidson dealer, or Harley-Davidson.
You can contact NHTSA through the following means. Additional information about motor vehicle safety is available through the website.
Telephone: Vehicle Safety Hotline (toll-free) at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153).
Address: Administrator, NHTSA, 400 Seventh Street SW, Washington, DC 20590